Mustang, OK asked in Collections for Oklahoma

Q: How do you resolve a credit issue when you can't find the company to pay?

It is on my credit report as "frozen", but no contact number or address. Listed as Resolution Management (finance). I want to settle and get my credit score up, but can't without contacting or paying this off.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Jarod Morris
Mr. Jarod Morris
  • Oklahoma City, OK

A: Send a letter to all of the the credit reporting agencies that have the account listed. Tell them that you dispute the account as accurate and that as listed, and (if this is true) that you do not recognize ever being having a balance with Resolution Management (finance); therefore, you dispute this information as accurate.

This will trigger an investigation by the credit agency and the agency must inform the information provider (Resolution Management) that you dispute the information. The information provider is then supposed to investigate and either correct or verify the accuracy of this information. The credit agency, after all of the investigation, is supposed to provide you with notice as to what actions were or were not taken. The agency should also provide you with the name, contact number and address of the company providing the information to the credit agency.

Once you get this information, you can then start to have a clue why this is on your credit report to begin with.

Take a look at the other accounts on your credit report. Do you see any accounts listed that carry a $0 balance that you thought used to carry a balance? Resolution Management is a typical, generic name used by debt buyer companies. These companies purchase debt from credit card companies by the truckload. They may send a few letters demanding payment. Some just wait, and other sue right away. Very often, these debt buyers do not get the required information from the credit card company to actually prove that you owe the amount claimed. Many debt buyers appear to count on suing people who will not know how to respond so the debt buyer gets a default judgment against the individual. Others will try to work something out thinking the debt buyer will negotiate and the individual will send in a nominal payment. All this does is revive the debt, even if the debt (prior to the nominal payment) was past the statute of limitations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.