Oxon Hill, MD asked in Car Accidents for Maryland

Q: Insurance company refuses to pay

I need your help in Maryland Insurance law. For example,

My car is damaged by a truck owned by you. Fault is on your truck.

Drivers of your truck run away. Police has not caught them.

You had not reported loss to police nor did you cancel your insurance before incident happened.

Your truck is impounded by police. Key in ignition, no evidence of forced entry.

You told me that you parked the truck by 2am in the morning in your driveway and went to sleep.

In 6am, police called you on the phone, asking about your truck, you know it's gone.

You told me the victim, that you did not rolled up the glass on driver side door, and you left a spare key in arm rest area inside the truck. The truck is a 2006 Ford F150 with 80k miles on it, worth about $15,000, totaled in the accident.

Now, I need to file claim to recover my loss in the accident.

What are the chances of my winning?

Your insurance company is refusing to pay me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jobeth Rocky Bowers
Jobeth Rocky Bowers
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Elkton, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You should be eligible to file an uninsured motorist claim through your company. They'll cover your damages minus your deductible, and then they'll do the legwork on investigating recovery beyond that point.

If they find the person responsible, and recover their money, they should refund your deductible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.