Maryland Car Accidents Questions & Answers

Q: Hello .... I was involved in an accident I was at a stop light when light turned green I proceeded a guy turning left

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Maryland on
Answered on Jan 15, 2019
Lee Eidelberg's answer
The short answer is yes, you can fight the ticket. However, if the other party appears in court, the decision will ultimately be based on that parties word versus your word. However, if there was no personal injury it is quite possible unless the officer actually witnessed the accident, that the other party will fail to appear and the citation can be dismissed. You will need to retain an attorney to represent you in court or you will have to personally appear from out of state to do so yourself

Q: What happens if you miscarry after an accident?

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for Maryland on
Answered on Jan 14, 2019
Lee Eidelberg's answer
If it is proving, to reasonable grief medical probability, that's your miscarriage was a result of the accident, you would be entitled to claim damages for any medical expenses related to that most unfortunate event, as well as compensation for conscious pain and suffering.

Q: I work for Baltimore City Department of Transportation I had a accident at work ambulance hit the work truck

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Maryland on
Answered on Jan 10, 2019
Thomas Neary's answer
Possibly. It depends on how the accident happened.

As an employee, if you were working at the time of the accident, you would likely be entitled to file a Workers Compensation claim with your employer for any injuries and damages. You could also file an action directly against the driver and/or owner of the ambulance for your injuries but would have to deal with any liens for the Workers Compensation paid to you.

As to liability, it would depend on the facts of the accident....

Q: Another driver hit me while he wasn't wearing his prescription eye glasses. Can I sue him for extra money?

4 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for Maryland on
Answered on Oct 19, 2018
Timothy Fizer's answer
I do not know what you mean by "extra money." If you are asking whether you can get more because he was not wearing his prescription glasses, the answer likely is "no;" you are entitled to fair compensation for your injuries, if any. You are not entitled to an additional amount to punish the driver for forgetting to wear his glasses.

Q: I was involved in a car accident with a senior citizen who should not have been driving.

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for Maryland on
Answered on Oct 4, 2018
Mark Oakley's answer
It is unclear whether you are angry and vengeful for the accident, or genuinely concerned for the safety of this senior citizen and the public at large. Ordinarily, if a police officer responding to an accident has reason to believe that a driver has an infirmity that makes them a danger on the road, they will fill out a certification to that effect and refer their concerns to the MVA, which will conduct a driver safety review and may temporarily suspend the license pending medical and physical...

Q: Who do I need to speak to about a terrible accident involving myself and a natural resource officer?

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents, Personal Injury and Wrongful Death for Maryland on
Answered on Sep 17, 2018
Eric Todd Kirk's answer
Very sorry to hear that this has happened to you and your family. If you were injured in the accident you should indeed immediately consult with a Maryland personal injury attorney.

Q: Can I sue the city for failing to prevent car break-ins?

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Maryland on
Answered on Sep 16, 2018
Timothy Fizer's answer
The likely answer to your question is no, although you have not provided sufficient details to elicit a more specific answer.

Q: How do i remove a suspension of my license from a judgment that was vacated

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets, Car Accidents, Civil Litigation and Small Claims for Maryland on
Answered on Sep 13, 2018
Eric Todd Kirk's answer
I would suggest you contact the MVA, show them your paperwork, and follow their direction to get your license reinstated.

Q: How do I know if I should report a car accident to my insurance or not? I don't want to raise my payments.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Maryland on
Answered on Aug 31, 2018
Eric Todd Kirk's answer
If you were at fault and expect them to pay anything to the other side, or to you for pip or property damage, you need to report it. If you were not at fault, and want to collect pip, or payment under your collision or rental coverage, you need to report it.

Q: Do I still have to make lease payments if someone else caused an accident that totals my car?

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for Maryland on
Answered on Aug 18, 2018
Nyasha A. West's answer
Lease payments result from an agreement between yourself and your bank. If your car is totaled by a third party, whom lacks privity of contract with the bank holding your car note, you would file a claim against the third party's insurance. It is unlikely the insurance company will willingly make you whole and therefore situations like these are best handled by an attorney.

Q: I was a victim of a hit and run, neither I or the officer got subpoenas for the court date, can I go to small claims?

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for Maryland on
Answered on Aug 3, 2018
Eric Todd Kirk's answer
Yes. The outcome in the traffic case has no bearing on your civil claim.

Q: What kind a lawyer do I need for damages to a car due to negligence on the mechanics part

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Products Liability for Maryland on
Answered on Jul 25, 2018
Peter Munsing's answer
You need to figure the cost of repairing the damage vs cost of hiring an attorney. I don't know of any that would take that on a contingent fee.

However if it's provable and you have collision coverage or general property damage coverage, why not file a claim with your insurance and let them go after the mechanic?

You would look for a consumer attorney.

Q: I was in an auto accident with no witnesses, Would a lawyer post signs at the intersection looking for witnesses?

3 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents and Personal Injury for Maryland on
Answered on Jul 24, 2018
Mark Oakley's answer
It seems like a highly unlikely strategy to locate a witness--someone who randomly might have seen the accident and who will also randomly drive through that same intersection and notice some sign you post as they drive past. Nothing stopping you trying it, and certainly if the accident happened along a busy commuter route during rush hour then you might increase your odds that the same drivers will pass through on their way to and from work. I don't see too many lawyers doing this for you,...

Q: What is the time limit for suing over car accident injuries?

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Maryland on
Answered on Jul 19, 2018
Peter Munsing's answer
Depends on the state where it happened, the type of claim, your age.

If under 18, in most states you have until you are 20.

In Maryland, 3 years for injuries from a car crash. However if your claim is for underinsured or uninsured benefits it may be different.

Feel free to call if you have any questions.

Q: The other driver's insurance company seems like it's taking forever to investigate my accident. Do they have a time

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for Maryland on
Answered on Jul 17, 2018
Eric Todd Kirk's answer
There is no hard and fast rule. Generally, 30 days is considered adequate time to investigate a claim. An unreasonable delay, especially where the answers are clear, may entice the MIA to get involved and examine the insurer's conduct.

Q: I am unhappy with the insurance settlement I got from a car accident. Is there a way to appeal for more money?

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for Maryland on
Answered on Jun 18, 2018
Thomas Neary's answer
Hi there, sorry you are unhappy with the insurance settlement. The answer to your question depends upon what you mean when you write "insurance settlement". If this is a personal injury settlement that you agreed to and signed settlement papers, it will be argued that you are bound by the settlement and waived any right to further compensation. If you received compensation for property damage or this is an offer, then your rights are different.

I would recommend that you go over...

Q: Is it legal to drive a car with driver side mirror missing?

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Traffic Tickets for Maryland on
Answered on Jun 6, 2018
John Mesirow's answer

Maryland Code



Subtitle 4 - Other Equipment

Section 22-403 - Mirrors.

§ 22-403. Mirrors.


(b) Motor vehicles - Registered in this State.- Every motor vehicle registered in this State shall be equipped with an outside mirror on the driver's side located to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle...

Q: If I take statements from witnesses of my car accident, will those hold up in court?

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for Maryland on
Answered on Jun 4, 2018
Thomas Neary's answer
It depends what you mean.

You cannot bring the statements in and read them in Court. That is not allowed by the rules. You need to get the witnesses to Court to testify in person.

You can use the statements if those witnesses come in later and change their stories to help them or cross-examine them.

Q: Someone rear-ended me, and I just found out that they weren't adequately covered in terms of insurance. Does that mean I

3 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for Maryland on
Answered on May 27, 2018
John Mesirow's answer
If you have automobile insurance, you can collect under your uninsured motorist (UM) coverage, or your underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage. Contact a personal injury attorney to discuss the circumstances of your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.