Pasadena, CA asked in Divorce for California

Q: I filed divorce papers about 10 years ago, then never did anything after that-can I use those same papers today?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Linda Calderon Garrett
Linda Calderon Garrett
  • Suisun City, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you filed 10 years ago, probably not--assuming, of course, that you did as you say, "never did anything after that." Usually, the court's close cases that become stale, such as yours.

I recommend you speak with an attorney before filing your paperwork as there are new issues that need to be addressed since 10 years have elapsed. If you can't afford to hire an attorney, know that there are many attorneys that provide limited-scope legal services, such as coaching services.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.