Las Vegas, NV asked in Divorce for California

Q: How do i get my spousal support increased?

Since our divorce both my ex and myself have moved from california. it's been two years since our divorce was final. he now owns two successful companies and i, on the other hand, have not been able to find employment. one the 150.00 per month support, i can't afford legal representation. what are my options?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Diana L. Martinez
Diana L. Martinez
  • Chino, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You will have to look at your divorce judgment documents. It should specify if the support is a fixed amount or under what conditions you may request additional support. Under standard language, the support is modifiable upon a showing of a change in circumstances. Often, however, the language included references that the support is sufficient to meet the marital standard of living and that no increase in the payers income will warrant a substantial change in circumstances such that it would be a basis for an increase in the support amount. You need to read you judgment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.