Anadarko, OK asked in Collections for Oklahoma

Q: How can I get my money back asap?

I took payments over for a car and paid it off not knowing that the person used the car as collateral for a loan she is not paying off. I cannot get the car registered under my name because of the lien that is still on it under her name.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Howard Berkson
Howard Berkson
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: It's possible the lien is valid, depending on whether the original owner had authority to use the vehicle for collateral on the second loan. You may be able to take legal action either to get her to pay the debt or to remove the lien from your title. You should consult with an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.