Lincolnton, NC asked in Elder Law for North Carolina

Q: My friend is in a Nursing Center and her daughter sold her house 10 days ago. Can she do that? No notice of eviction.

About 7 yrs ago, my friend's daughter convinced her to move here. She sent her $5000,00 down payment on the house. The daughter handled the paper work from this end. Three days after moving here, my friend was devastated over the loss of her husband, she did not think to look at the papers that was signed on the house. Within this same time frame, the daughter sold my friend's car. Her daughter makes threats to get her mother to do what she wants. My friend has paid for all home repairs since moving here. When my friend had her first hip replacement. There was no problem with her coming home. She had savings and paid all the household bills. My friend called me @ 8:am and ask if I or my husband come and get her a drink of water. My went and found my friend sitting in a recliner, where she had been for 2 days or more sitting in her own waste. He called me and I went to help her. Her son-in-law saw us there and he came running over. My friend has no where to live.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rachel Lea Hunter
Rachel Lea Hunter
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Cary, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: It is unethical to discuss your friend's legal problems with you.

First, no one knows what your friend signed 7 years ago. If it was a power of attorney in favor of the daughter, it can be revoked by your friend. If your friend signed over the deed to the house to the daughter, that is a different problem and would require a lawyer to file a petition to rescind the deed, although that is not likely to succeed after 7 years.

You indicate that your friend is in a nursing center but then your post suggests she is at the daughter's house sitting in a recliner. Which is true? If your friend was in a nursing home, she would not be sitting in a recliner in her own waste. However, if she was, the nursing home would be negligent and you should report this to DHHS, which oversees nursing homes. If the friend is living with the daughter, contact the county mental health/aging department and speak to them about neglect of your friend by her daughter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.