Watsonville, CA asked in Family Law for California

Q: Do I need a family law lawyer if I am trying to settle divorce with a auto and house involved in divorce?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
  • Mountain View, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: There is no legal requirement that you have a lawyer. As a self-represented party, you can file for divorce, negotiate with your spouse, and assuming you reach a written agreement, you can ask the court to incorporate your settlement agreement into your judgment.

  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It is a good idea to seek legal advice in your situation, especially if the house has high equity and is valuable.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.