Hartford, CT asked in Criminal Law for Connecticut

Q: If I was arrested but the case was dropped is it on my record? Will it effect my renewal in obtaining my CT Guard Card?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Bronson Barnes Esq
Joseph Bronson Barnes Esq
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Milford, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: Depends, If it was dropped by something called a "nolle" which means he prosecutor agrees not to prosecute it remains on file and could be reinstated, usually for cause (like a repeat offense), for 13 months. After that, or if the case is "Dismissed" by the judge, the file will be destroyed and you can honestly claim you have never been arrested under Connecticut law as there has been no conviction. Even if yo got a nolle you still have not been convicted but a record is being maintained.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.