Mesa, AZ asked in Real Estate Law for Arizona

Q: My mom put $4100 down on a For Sale By Owner Property (based on a verbal contigency to sell her home first in 90 days).

The owner sold to another person and kept my mother's money - how can we get it back for her?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Martinez
Adam Martinez
  • Mesa, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Generally, if a person is entitled to a refund of funds based on a unfulfilled sale or contingency, and the person owing the funds will not voluntarily return the funds, the person entitled to the funds may need to file a lawsuit against the person owing the funds. In some cases, a legal demand letter may cause the person to voluntarily return the funds.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.