Linthicum Heights, MD asked in Car Accidents for Maryland

Q: What does a plaintiff have to prove tosue a parent for allowing their child to use a car which resulted in an accident?

Accident was a fender-bender, but insurance company has not settled claim. Law suit was filed 2 weeks short of 3 year limitation. Medical claims in excess of $50k and punitive damages exceed the $100k insurance coverage. What is the potential risk? Should we hire another attorney?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jobeth Rocky Bowers
Jobeth Rocky Bowers
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Elkton, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: By another attorney do you mean additional?

Also, is this a Maryland claim? It is very rare to seek punitive damages in a Maryland auto accident claim, but that may derive from facts not apparent in the question. If there is an extreme degree of negligence on the part of the parent, i.e specifically allowing an unlicensed minor child to drive the vehicle, then it is possible to pursue a punitive claim. There are a few other reasons, but I won't dig into the facts of the case. I think if your lawyer has filed the case, and they regularly file suit and try these types of cases, then you are probably in good hands.

There is little benefit to hiring an additional lawyer, and if the case has been filed it would be difficult to find a lawyer who wants to take over a case midway through the litigation process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.