Victorville, CA asked in Immigration Law for Nevada

Q: As a PR since 2006, I accidently voted in 2008 (I didn't know

Good Afternoon. As a Permanent Resident since 2006, I accidently voted in presidential election in 2008 (I didn't know back then that its a deportable offense. I would have never done it if I knew how serious this is)) . I’ve never applied for a citizenship so I guess I’m way pass statutory period. Will this crime be ever forgiven if I wish to apply for citizenship one day?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Brian Dizengoff
Bruce Brian Dizengoff
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA

A: Unlawful voting or otherwise making a false claim to United States citizenship is a serious violation that carries with it severe immigration consequences. Misconduct of this nature constitutes a ground of inadmissibility, as well as a basis for placement in removal proceedings. Under the circumstances, you would be well advised to consult a licensed attorney specializing in immigration and nationality law. Good luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.