New York, NY asked in Criminal Law for New York

Q: Attorney Retention After Arraignment

I have been arrested and then released on my own recognizance. At the time of the arraignment I have hired a defense attorney which I can no longer afford. I need to go back to court in a month and was wondering how do I go about getting a public defender? Do I wait for the court date and ask the judge? Can I ask for a continuance since I will not have an attorney by that time?

Thanks for any help. This is in New York State.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Arkady Bukh
Arkady Bukh
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You will have to go on that date and ask the court for a continuance as you no longer have an attorney. At that point ask if you qualify for a free attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.