Sandy Hook, VA asked in Collections for Virginia

Q: I'm owed 47,000 and the guy wrote me a bad check for 6500. What can I do? How do I file in circuit court?

I have a notarized agreement. Do I need to send him a letter demanding payment?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tara Candela R.N., Esq.
Tara Candela R.N., Esq.
  • Alexandria , VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: You will need to file in Circuit Court due to the amount. Some court websites have a great deal of information to assist the public with filing. You can try to look there first, or contact an attorney for assistance. Unfortunately, if this guy wrote you a bad check for $6500, you may have some trouble collecting on the judgment even after you get one. But it might be possible to obtain a wage garnishment of some sort, but in any event you'll need the judgment first. Good luck to you!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.