Providence, RI asked in Criminal Law for Rhode Island

Q: If you were charged with assault with a deadly weapon, and had it knocked down to Simple assault are there other options

I was followed into and out of a store, by the girl i was speaking to at the times x-husband, he put on a show for everyone and pretended he didnt know me when he clearly did, and I made it very clear, after some time arguing in the parking lot he charged at my car and the result was me hitting him. Problem was, my lawyer at the time wrote a subpoena to get copies of all inside and outside audio and video. The person responsible for this said there was nothing on the tapes, and got rid of them. which would have proved my story. Instead, my lawyer talked me into taking the deal, and I never got to tell the real story, or show all of the evidence I had collected ON MY OWN, including a phone call where he broke into his xwifes phone got my number called me up and threatend my life. I HAVE THIS RECORDED as well. I just feel like the justice system really screwed up on this one, and was curious if there are any other course of actions. After being talked into taking the plea by my lawyer.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
S Joshua Macktaz
S Joshua Macktaz
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cranston, RI
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: Sounds like it was a difficult case. However, given that the charges were reduced to a misdemeanor you should get it expunged which is the legal equivalent of "it never happened". Feel free to contact my office (401.861.1155) to discuss your options. Thanks.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.