Asked in Divorce for Massachusetts

Q: 2 women married legally for 8 yrs one leaves the home due to infinfidelity.the home was owned previously by the one that

Left.the other helped raise her children and is now she entitled to anything? Alamony or part of the house?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Christopher J Finn
Christopher J Finn

A: Unfortunately, this type of question is heavily fact dependent. The quick answer, without knowing more, is judges will divide property equitably (fairly) regardless of the name on the deed, bank account, retirement account, or whatever assets are owned. This means that it is possible that the person who is not listed on the deed may have a right to a portion of the equity in the home.

Also, it is entirely possible that alimony, or even child support could be issues in this case, but again, there is a lot of additional information we would need to know before making a determination whether either is appropriate. My best advice would be to meet with an attorney for a consultation to learn about your rights.

Very truly yours,


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.