Stockton, CA asked in Identity Theft for Arizona

Q: Did my son use my Social Security number illegally? If so, what can happen to him?

He used my Social Security number to get a credit card on an old account that I had forgotten to take him off of as an authorized user. He did NOT lie to the bank about who he was or what he wanted BUT instead of using the account number to get his card he used my Social without my permission. He then charged $17,100 on the card. I know I am liable for the balance but wonder if I can press charges on him for using my Social Security number without my knowledge, even though technically all he gained from it was a credit card I authorized him to use.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Studnicki
Adam Studnicki
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: There aren’t many lawyers answering criminal law questions in Arizona. You can use the Find a Lawyer tool on this site to search for and contact a lawyer. Best to talk to a criminal defense lawyer.

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is only general information. It is NOT legal advice, and it may not work for your specific situation. It is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the relevant facts and documents. I strongly encourage you to consult with a local lawyer to get legal advice and help with your specific situation at your earliest convenience. I am licensed to practice law in Arizona.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.