Asked in Criminal Law for Oklahoma

Q: I am a victim in a criminal case. Can I contact the defendant's attorney?

My ex-fiance came to my house to talk and the situation grew bad. During the time he was there, we did have sexual relations and I was up-front about this when asked by the sheriff's office when I initially gave my report of the other things that happened that night. He has been charged with Assault with a Deadly Weapon, Kidnapping and Rape in the First Degree. When I saw on the news and in my local paper (very small town) his photo and it was all about a "Rapist" being captured - I was devestated and then grew angry. He did things he should not have done and should be punished for - but he is NOT a rapist. The sexual relations was consensual that night and I have adamantly told the D.A. this, as well as a Victim's Advocate I have spoken with several times. Both of their stance is he is a rapist and the D.A. will continue with that charge. I have several questions - being the victim and not having an attorney - can I contact his attorney to let him know that my stance is there was no r

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy J. Pickens
Timothy J. Pickens
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: The prosecution doesn't have to work for your cause. If you are not able to get the DA to see things your way, then what you should do is hire your own Oklahoma Attorney to represent your interests. In regards to the defense, you are not restricted from contacting the defense. But, the discussion could be flipped on the accused and construed by the state as the defense tried to influence or intimidate a states witness, you.

Thanks for your question. TJP

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.