Gold Canyon, AZ asked in Collections and Consumer Law for Arizona

Q: i am faced with two problems.A bill collection from 95 has frozen my bank account. I never lived at given address.

Yesterday i discovered there was a freeze/hold on my bank account. When i called my bank they gave a number to call. It was the number of a constable in NJ. i have lived in AZ 16 years. The constable gave me the number to the credit collection agency. When i called they informed me it was an old Verizon account that extended back to 95 but was reopened in march of 2008. The address to which this was tied to was never mine. This extends so far back i have no idea how to provide proof of residency. They ask me to provide 3 things. Affidavit of fraud, Police report due to the possible identity theft and proof of residency from '95-08. How so i provide proof of residency? and its been longer than 7 years is it legal for them to do this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Studnicki
Adam Studnicki
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: A consumer protection of debt collection lawyer should be able to assist. You should try to determine if the debt is even still valid. The collection agency is required to comply with the Fair Debt Collection Practice Act.

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is general information that is given for legal education only. It is not legal advice, and it may not work for your specific situation. It is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the relevant facts and documents. I strongly encourage you to consult with a local lawyer to get legal advice and help with your specific situation at your earliest convenience. I am licensed to practice law in Arizona.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.