Phoenix, AZ asked in Tax Law for Arizona

Q: If I quit-claim my home to parents and there is equity is that considered a taxable gift? $70K purchase now $150K.

My parents foreclosed on original home. Didn't qualify due to credit when they wanted to buy again so they asked me to sign for home. I am the only one on both title and mortgage. Credit is good now and they want me to transfer home to their name by quit-claiming deed and having them assume mortgage. However, home has appreciated from $70K to $150K and I am concerned that there might be some tax implication as I am afraid that this could be perceived as a taxable gift. Am I correct or can I make this transfer without concern about taxes?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Studnicki
Adam Studnicki
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Whether or not it's taxable depends on your specific situation. A gift tax return may need to be filed. Best to talk to a good CPA about this.

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is general information that is given for legal education only. It is not legal advice, and it may not work for your specific situation. It is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the relevant facts and documents. I strongly encourage you to consult with a local lawyer to get legal advice and help with your specific situation at your earliest convenience. I am licensed to practice law in Arizona.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.