Asked in Divorce, Employment Law, Family Law and Immigration Law for Missouri

Q: Can my husband cancel my H4 visa before applying for divorce? If so how long can i stay in USA legally?


I am on H4 visa and recently got EAD approval notice. My husband is on H1B, he has applied for Green Card and got his I 140 approved.

I am planning for Divorce as i am emotionally abused by my husband. Is there any way where i can stay in the United States legally?

I need some guidance it will be really helpful.... Thank you

1 Lawyer Answer

Shan Dimitris Potts

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Glendale, CA

A: If you file for divorce your H4 visa becomes invalid which directly means your EAD will also become invalid. So you would not be able to stay in the US legally, I see you mentioned your husband emotionally abused you. If it was physical abuse and if it involved any violence you will be able to apply for a special visa called an U-visa, which will allow you to stay in the country legally. All the best.

"15 years of successful immigration law experience. The answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship."

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.