Fort Mill, SC asked in Civil Rights for South Carolina

Q: Can we sue the county probation department for false arrest?

In 2004 my husband was a police officer in NJ and he was found guilty of theft. (Long story, but it was political in nature.) He was put on probation and ordered to pay restitution.

In 2009 we moved to NC and his probation was transferred here. In 2014, his probation ended. He continued making monthly restitution payments to NJ as he had done faithfully from day one.

Last week he was arrested on a bench warrant for failure to appear in court in 2014 because he still had a restitution balance when his probation ended. The major problem is-- we never received notice! The county probation department shows that they sent 2 notices to the WRONG address that were returned! How could they have the wrong address when my husband was being supervised here in NC for 5 years?! He was extradited back to New Jersey and held for a week. Now due to some "federal statute" he has to remain in NJ until his next court date on the restitution issue. Do we have a case to sue for false arrest?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Deltona, FL

A: I doubt it, but go see an attorney to learn more.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.