Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
South Carolina Civil Rights Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury and Civil Rights for South Carolina on
Q: What are the stipulations to mutual combat in the state of south Carolina?

If two consenting adults agree to engage in mutual combat under supervision of a referee in an enclosed area and all guidelines were met eg.. both parties agree, understand the engagement rules, and agree to end the fight upon a retreat or the inability to continue could legal proceedings occur?

Jonathan Edmond Bennett Lewis
Jonathan Edmond Bennett Lewis
answered on Nov 12, 2022

Yes, both parties may be charged pursuant to S.C. Code Statutes regarding assault and battery.

Only fights authorized by the SC State Athletic Commission, a division of SC Labor Licensing Regulation, are immune from application of the SC Codes punishing assault and battery.

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Civil Litigation for South Carolina on
Q: I’m curious on if i can take legal action for a situation that happened to me.

I rented a Uhaul truck from a facility and paid for it in full, and then on my drive home I was followed by police, pulled over, and then had 6 cop cars swarm me and demand i get out at gunpoint. I was detained, placed into handcuffs, read Miranda rights, and then told the truck was stolen. I did... Read more »

Roy Willey
Roy Willey
answered on Oct 17, 2022

You may have a defamation or false arrest claim. Either UHaul should not have reported that particular truck as stolen, or the police stopped the wrong truck (if there was another truck that was stolen and reported as such). Hard to tell who the actual legal claim is against, but you likely do... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, DUI / DWI and Traffic Tickets for South Carolina on
Q: How long can the police hold a fire arm that was confiscated out my vehicle

I got pulled over and was charged with the DUI a few months ago and I allowed the officer to search my vehicle and I told him where my firearm was they took it and the next day when I was released from the jail they didn't give it back how long are they allowed to keep it before I can have it back

James Thomas
James Thomas
answered on Sep 3, 2022

If the firearm is evidence in the case for some reason (it doesn't sound like it, but for example, someone might also be charged with unlawful carry in addition to DUI), then they'll hang on to it for at least as long as the case stays pending in court. But if not, then they should be... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Antitrust and Civil Rights for South Carolina on
Q: Is it against the law for a officer who wasn't at the incident on scene to write a false statement as if he was there?

The officer who wrote the incident report in my case wrote it out like he was there the whole time, which isn't true.

Also the inital thing I was being pulled over for was damage to personal property. i was charged with traffecking meth, possession of weed and ecstacy. Although I... Read more »

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
answered on Jan 17, 2022

Officer cannot write false statements. On the other hand this is personal to you and I would suggest that you have someone else, perhaps a lawyer you might hire, review the reports and see if his review reaches a conclusion which is the same as yours.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Cannabis & Marijuana Law, Civil Rights and Municipal Law for South Carolina on
Q: Is there a statue of limitations for simple possession in SC?

The cops came to my house on Wed. 11-17 with a search warrant looking to find a large amount of marijuana. They found a roach. My girlfriend said it was hers so they gave her a ticket for simple possession. They then told me I had to go to the police department Mon. 11-21 because they wanted to... Read more »

Jonathan Edmond Bennett Lewis
Jonathan Edmond Bennett Lewis
answered on Nov 21, 2021

Is there a statue of limitations for simple possession in SC?

No. There are no statutes of limitations on criminal offenses in South Carolina.

Can they really come back to the house and arrest me?

Yes. In South Carolina we have two types of possession, constructive and...
Read more »

Q: Can the law legally hold my truck and impound when it wasn't part of my charges or fines for being arrested

What I was trying to say and not so many words is I got charged with the drugs but there's no charge or fines or tickets if anything to do with the truck how can they hold it

Peter David Brown
Peter David Brown
answered on Sep 2, 2021

IF the arresting agency alleges that the vehicle was used in the futherance of the "criminal enterprise" they can seize it.

(for example: you were stopped with the drugs in the vehicle)

1 Answer | Asked in Agricultural Law, Civil Rights and Criminal Law for South Carolina on
Q: How can my son who is Native American obtain a Native American attorney? Criminal Law & Civil Rights.
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jan 31, 2021

I'm sorry your question went unanswered for three weeks. If your son is still looking for an attorney, you could go to the Find-a-Lawyer tab above - there is a section "Native American Law." You could also run your own independent searches online, or you could visit the website of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims and Civil Rights for South Carolina on
Q: My gf/fiancé of 6 yrs and I just broke up. She was cheating. My truck loan is in her name but I make the payment. She

Has given me 30 days to pay her for it or give her the truck. Can she do that

Ryan D Templeton
Ryan D Templeton
answered on Dec 10, 2020

I would need some more information to answer this question but it is important to know how the truck is titled more than who's name is on the note/loan.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Products Liability, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for South Carolina on
Q: Called hotel asked if room stayed in before was vacant after told yes discussed prices and then was told he would not re

Rent me room in front but can rent same room in back. After I called cust Ser. She said guy then said I was banned from property bc of 1st stay. Stayed 1 night and he accused me of having high traffic to and from my room which wasn't true and that me and my girlfriend was sitting outside. I... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Nov 13, 2020

A South Carolina attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for three weeks. As a GENERAL matter, hotels are given leeway in terms of declining patrons. The most practical option might be to look into other hotels. You could consult with a South Carolina to ask if they see things... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for South Carolina on
Q: What happen when a innocent person is harm by a dangerous human who set you up to be harm. be cause of the color of me;
Jeremy Rosenthal
Jeremy Rosenthal
answered on Sep 29, 2020

If someone set you up and you have no criminal intent then you should be morally and legally blameless. You should consult with a criminal lawyer in your state to discuss further specifics.

Q: I quit job over harassment/illegal treatment is there a way to ask owner for severance w/o it being blackmail/extortion?

Been working at a place for over a decade. Many things have happened over that time, some addressed with management. Sexual harassment, threats of violence, refusal to pay overtime, sharing medical information with subordinates, firing other employees for refusing to work sick etc. The owner... Read more »

Jeremy R. Summerlin
Jeremy R. Summerlin
answered on May 22, 2020

You should speak with an employment lawyer in your area. He or she can review your situation and provide some guidance on the strength of any legal claims you might have, which will aid you (or the lawyer) in making a demand for severance.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for South Carolina on
Q: A black male, early 40's, arrested for illegal carry, never charged with any other charges, ever, doesnt have money to

...hire competent counsel. Obtains legal aid attorney. About to go to second hearing. Can he request and receive a continuation until he secures competent counsel?

Ryan D Templeton
Ryan D Templeton
answered on Jan 20, 2020

It is likely that you will be able to have your case continued but I would recommend talking to some attorneys in your area. Many attorneys that practice criminal law will take a payment plan.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights for South Carolina on
Q: What action can I take when a judge in Orangeburg, SC on several occasions, mistreated me sentencing me to jail when I

Could not afford an attorney. I told the truth and yet was verbally degraded by the judge while she, my ex husband and his attorney made statements that were false (with no proof) about me then punishing me for acts that I had not done. The judge was extremely unprofessional.

Ryan D Templeton
Ryan D Templeton
answered on Oct 17, 2019

I assume that this is a Family Court Matter but i would tell you that you need to get an attorney that practices family law in that area to intercede on your behalf.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Criminal Law for South Carolina on
Q: What constitutes extraordinary circumstances for a prisoner in South Carolina to receive a pardon in South Carolina

Thank you answering my previous question about my brother and his victim's family. His victims family members wrote the clerk of Court and the solicitors office stating that they request a time modifications and/or any relief the court may grant. The clerk of court/solicitors office sent a... Read more »

Ryan D Templeton
Ryan D Templeton
answered on Oct 15, 2019

This is an information sheet provided on SCPPP’s website regarding the criteria that is considered in the granting or denial of a pardon or parole. I don’t know of anyone that does this work on a pro bono basis but you can certainly reach out to the S.C. bar or S.C. legal services to see if... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights, Identity Theft and Landlord - Tenant for South Carolina on
Q: Hello my name is Taranika Can i sue the court for gross negligence. Because the judge never submitted a form four.

The judge order the defendant. To move me the defendant never moved me but they issued a rule to vacate but the judge nervous issued a form four but later Dismissed the case with prejudice after he granted negligence in court.

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
answered on Jul 29, 2019

No.Judicial immunity

Q: Can a Home Owner's Association auction off a home without informing the owner who still has an up to date mortgage?

The owner says someone purchased his home at an auction. The person now has a foreclosure on credit report despite the fact the mortgage is current. What recourse does the individual have?

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
answered on Jul 20, 2019


Not true. Was it a tax deed and not THE HOA?

Q: Was injured at Walmart while working for them just recently. 4 days ago let H R know about losing feeling in both hands

Yesterday 3 hours before my shift ended I was called into office and was told that due to a b s excuse they like to use I have to be terminated Now I don't know if I can get help with my situation and they are liable. I had been with them full time for over 2 years I have No insurance Please help

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jan 15, 2019

Try additionally reposting your question in the Workers' Compensation section. Hopefully one of the experienced attorneys in that category could pick up the question.

Tim Akpinar

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Wrongful Death for South Carolina on
Q: Can I file a lawsuit on food loin my uncle got killed by the food loin security beating and slam him on his head and
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Mar 5, 2018

Your uncle's family should contact attorney Carl Jacobsen in Charleston. Tell him I suggested you call.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Family Law, Civil Rights and Probate for South Carolina on
Q: My mother passed away but didn't have a will. My step father's not giving me any of her things.

He still has everything except stuff he's taken out of house already am I entitled to any of her things. I took care of her care of her for 5 years before she died. But she didn't have a will

Taylor Silver
Taylor Silver
answered on Sep 11, 2017

If she died without a will you are likely entitled to some of her estate. You need to speak to a probate attorney about your predicament as soon as possible to avoid possible loss of estate property.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Criminal Law for South Carolina on
Q: I have a 15 year old harassing me. He comes walking by my house every day making gun noises, throwing rocks at my window

It's a everyday thing with him. Called police and all they have done was talk to the parents and the next day he's doing it again. What can I do I have 3 children one who is an infant

William C. Head
William C. Head PRO label
answered on Aug 22, 2017

Video him, as he walks by. Get it with sound, to show the harassment. Then, play it for police. Show dates on video.

Once arrested, and under probation, he can be ordered to not come within certain distance of your property.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.