Odenton, MD asked in Estate Planning for Maryland

Q: How do I file an eception to a 3rd not final account, in Baltimore Cnty. I inherited and recieved a house.

Due to neglect & mismanagement by the personal representive. Damages were done to the property by bursted water pipes,from no heat. The property was covered by insurance. But the repairs are really bad and incomplete. There is nothing in the account filing showing the cost of repairs or insurance amount. This would be my cause to file exception.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: Perhaps you should have a full discussion with a local probate attorney.

Paul E. Draper
Paul E. Draper
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Baltimore, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Filing exceptions to an administration account is a time sensitive issue since exceptions have to be filed within 20 day of approval of the administration account. Even though receipt of insurance proceeds and expenditures of repairs to an estate asset (the house) should be included in the administration account, the issue that should be addressed is that the repairs are incomplete and the repairs completed were done is a shoddy manner. You should consult with a local probate attorney since exceptions or action against the personal representative most likely has to be instituted.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.