Perry Hall, MD asked in Family Law and Adoption for Maryland

Q: I have been the father of my 8 year old daughter for 6 years Her dad has been absent for 5 years. Adopt help?

My fiance and I both want this. My daughter only knows me as her dad. We are very happy but we are always restricted by the past which is why I want to adopt. We don't really want to contact him. He has never paid anything for her. He has multiple dui. He broke my fiance's face. Anything we can do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Deltona, FL

A: Go to a local adoption attorney for the specific advice that you need. Basically, the father has to consent and there is usually no way around this. If he will not consent, then perhaps a child support action should be filed, only a local family/adoption attorney is going to know the right way to do things in your state.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.