Olympia, WA asked in Small Claims for Washington

Q: Can I take the buyer of my property to small claims court for accumulated late fees?

The property contract I carry states a late fee charge of $167.00 if payment is posted 10 days after the due date. Buyers have been late 7 times out 9 months in 2015. This amounts to $ 1,169.00. They have ignored Late Fee notifications.

I live in Washington State where the property was sold in 1994.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Perhaps, but you might want to foreclose the contract and evict them instead. That would not be within small claims jurisdiction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.