Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Washington Small Claims Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Collections, Legal Malpractice and Small Claims for Washington on
Q: A random lawyer sued me for debt that wasn’t mine and I thought it was a scam but I now owe him. Isn’t this illegal?

My fiancé got handed a random court case with my name on it stating I owed debt to places I’ve never been to or had accounts with so I thought it was a scam, but I just got another set of papers in the mail that state I now owe money to this lawyer for the debt and I don’t understand how this... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on May 16, 2021

A Washington attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks, and those court papers your fiancé was handed could have relatively short deadlines by which a response is due. There could be a number of reasons for the court case, one being that someone made fraudulent... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for Washington on
Q: Do I have a small claims court case?

Rented my home to a life long friend. No written contract, just verbal agreement. She had started "remodel" projects because she said she was going to buy the house. She backed out of buying but never finished her projects. She left tons of trash, destroyed the yard and caused damage to... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Sep 26, 2020

A Washington attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for four weeks. Small claims courts nationwide have limits on dollar amounts. Until you're able to arrange a meaningful consult with an attorney in the state, you could familiarize yourselves online with the state's small... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Banking, Collections and Small Claims for Washington on
Q: Can we fight this and at least stop the repo?

The co signer for my car filed for bankruptcy so now the bank won’t let me pay. When I try, it says that it’s covered under the bankruptcy. Now the bank is coming after my car if I don’t pay for all the missed payments. So they won’t let me pay but now they want all the money “I owe”

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Sep 21, 2020

They can’t repossess your car while the co-signers automaton stay is in place. Hire a lawyer and let him straighten out the issues between you and the lender going forward.

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Car Accidents and Small Claims for Washington on
Q: Dog sitter threw a party at my house ran over our dog, then moved the body to a different street to hide the evidence.

We hired a dog sitter to watch our house and dogs. They threw a party and someone hit the dog. They pulled the hose from our house, which we had put back before our departure, and washed blood from our driveway. The hose was left strewn across our yard. At this point the we don't know if the... Read more »

Kristina M. Bergsten
Kristina M. Bergsten answered on Jul 17, 2020

I am so sorry to hear this! That is horrendous. You can file a police report for animal neglect/abuse/cruelty (depending on your local laws) and also tampering with evidence. You can also sue this person for negligence, breach of contracts, conversion, trespass to chattels, and possibly other... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Small Claims, Federal Crimes and Military Law for Washington on
Q: I was hit by a military cop and need to file a tort claim for damages to my vehicle. Who do i file the claim with in wa?

I thought i was being pulled over so i pulled over and got rear ended by a JBLM MP who was responding to another call looking at his computer. I live in wa state.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Apr 24, 2020

If you were injured contact aWashington State Assn for Justice member member in the county where it happened--they give free consultations. If it's just damage to the car, if you have collision run it through that, let them deal with it. Start by getting estimates, and the base JAG corps... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Civil Rights and Small Claims for Washington on
Q: I was discriminated against at a Motel because I have a service dog.

After paying for a room, providing them a credit card for incidentals and being issued my room keys. The clerk at the front counter told me that I could not have the room because of my service dog. She told me that I must be put in a room specifically for dogs. I informed her it is against federal... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Mar 14, 2020

Your frustration is understandable, but the time and resources you might expend in pressing the matter will far exceed a few $10 overpayments. You could consult with a Washington attorney to discuss options, but it isn't likely to be a free initial consultation. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Constitutional Law, Intellectual Property and Small Claims for Washington on
Q: So if someone who I live with who I have no relationship to, violates my 4 amendment right, can I create a case?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Dec 4, 2019

The Fourth Amendment applies to unlawful searches or seizures on the part of the government. Your situation sounds like a civil matter between two individuals. Keep in mind that whatever legal remedies might be applicable here that a Washington attorney could advise about, it could be... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for Washington on
Q: gave x 5000 cash for future bills and paid off her car for 2200 . she kicked me out 2 months later stated money was gone

can i take her to small claims for the remaining money when it was cash and verbal agreement

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 28, 2019

A Washington attorney could advise you best, but your question remains open for two weeks. As you might guess, cash is a very difficult thing to prove. While verbal agreements can be enforceable as a general matter under contract law, it often comes down to a matter of presenting evidence to that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for Washington on
Q: I was selling a bike to a friend for 3500. She made payments up to 1500 and stop making payments. Do I pay it back?

She said she would make payments after holidays and never did. Asked if she still wanted mortocyle she never responded. So I sold the bike. It's been a year and she is now asking for bike or money back. Do I have to pay her back?

Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq. answered on Jan 10, 2019

I don't see any legal basis to hold onto the entire amount of the $1500 since you sold the bike. Did you have any contract that discussed failure to continue making consistent payments? Typically, where there are installment payments, the buyer takes possession of the item up front. Since no... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Civil Rights and Small Claims for Washington on
Q: How do I take legal action against a dog handler extorting me and get my dog back, and without harm to dog?


verbal agreement of breeding- handler is extorting me by not returning my dog unless I give her 500 cash and sign a contract I have never seen.

Handler has had my dog for a week to breed. Handler decided she now needs a written contract, and stalled me after driving 2 hours... Read more »

Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq. answered on Dec 24, 2018

See: This law makes it a crime to steal or otherwise harm a pet animal in WA State. The application of this law is fact dependent. Also, it sounds like your opponent is claiming a lien on your dog, though I only know of such liens in the case... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts and Small Claims for Washington on
Q: I hired a mover to move me from OR to WA. He disappeared and took my $600 deposit. Where can I file a lawsuit?

I was talking to the guy daily right up until the night before the move. Morning of the move he ghosted on me. For two weeks he ignored many calls and texts until I threatened legal action. I also wrote an honest (bad) review of his business online and now he's pissed, and threatening to not... Read more »

Marjorie Simmons
Marjorie Simmons answered on Sep 13, 2016

How vexing an experience for you that must be. You'll want to read the UTC's page on movers at: Movers must be licensed. Call them to make a complaint at 888-333-WUTC (9882) and see their moving publications at... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for Washington on
Q: This issue pertains to tenant landlord law and the questions and situation are explained under more information

At the end of June me and a new roommate and her daughter moved into a new apartment in Bothell, WA. The apartment is leased to her and she is the only one that signed the contract. I am listed on this contract, along with her daughter, under "Occupants". Now that I am needing to move... Read more »

Marjorie Simmons
Marjorie Simmons answered on Aug 25, 2016

Do you have a copy of what was signed? What does the fine print say? It sounds as if your former roommate may have had the expectation that you would contribute to the rent payment when the two of you entered into the rental arrangement. If so and if she would not have leased the apartment... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for Washington on
Q: Can I take the buyer of my property to small claims court for accumulated late fees?

The property contract I carry states a late fee charge of $167.00 if payment is posted 10 days after the due date. Buyers have been late 7 times out 9 months in 2015. This amounts to $ 1,169.00. They have ignored Late Fee notifications.

I live in Washington State where the property was... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Sep 10, 2015

Perhaps, but you might want to foreclose the contract and evict them instead. That would not be within small claims jurisdiction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.