Providence, RI asked in Libel & Slander for Rhode Island

Q: I filed a complaint against a lawyer can he sue me for defamation ?

I wrote a complaint to the legal service that provided a pro bono lawyer for my girlfriend's jurisdiction matter in her divorce. I sent the complaint to the legal service about the lawyer because I feel he is not only in my belief acting very unprofessional but also violating ethics. His actions have caused problems with myself & my girlfriend. He has declared his love for her and is trying to have a romantic relationship, which I am told is violation of the ethics code. Since Dec of 2014 he has made over 225 phone calls. I have all the phone records since it is on my phone plan. I wrote the complaint explaining what has happened and what he has done. He now wants to sue me for defamation. Also, I wrote this complaint to the legal service. Is that considered privileged communications ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: She is the one who should be filing any complaints about her attorney, not you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.