Rhode Island Libel & Slander Questions & Answers

Q: Can a supervisor allow only 2 out of 3 employees the opportunity to work Overtime? all 3 are members of Laborers union

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination, Employment Law, Civil Rights and Libel & Slander for Rhode Island on
Answered on Mar 3, 2018
Bernard P. Healy's answer
I do not have sufficient information to answer this completely or with true accuracy. Under Federal and Rhode Island Law, a supervisor cannot discriminate against employees for certain reasons. Those reasons are race, gender, age, disability, perceived disability, ethnic background, religious affiliation, etc. If you are being passed over for over time secondary to these types of discrimination, you have a remedy you can pursue either in Court or at the Rhode Island Commission for Human Rights....

Q: I am being cyberstalked which has been reported to police but during this I was extremely slandered. What are my legal

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes and Libel & Slander for Rhode Island on
Answered on Feb 17, 2018
Neville Bedford's answer
You may wish to meet with an attorney to consider seeking a protective order in the State Court. They should also be able to review your allegations/evidence of slander and advise you of your options.

Q: I'm in foreclosure; can the mortgage co. send my ex-wife a certified notice or would that be considered slander?

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Divorce, Foreclosure and Libel & Slander for Rhode Island on
Answered on Aug 19, 2017
Neville Bedford's answer
If you have it, bring the notice to the attorney you have retained to assist you in the foreclosure matter.

Q: Can I sue for slander/liable/deformation of character?

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Libel & Slander for Rhode Island on
Answered on May 28, 2016
Neville Bedford's answer
Know that truth is a defense to these type of allegations(with some exceptions). Don't discuss the case in a public forum. Consult with an attorney in private and see if they will attend whatever hearing your employer may provide. You should have a right to know whom made this allegation(and know whom the defendant may be if you decide to take further action) that was forwarded by the doctor but if they have a policy that differs from that, you may not. get a copy of the employees...

Q: I filed a complaint against a lawyer can he sue me for defamation ?

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Rhode Island on
Answered on Oct 13, 2015
Neville Bedford's answer
She is the one who should be filing any complaints about her attorney, not you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.