Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Libel & Slander legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Rhode Island Libel & Slander Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Libel & Slander for Rhode Island on
Q: Can you legally come after someone for sharing personal messages, pictures, and videos stolen from your phone?

My wife and I had an open relationship. She went through my phone and took personal things of myself and another women. She has been sharing them and showing them to everyone.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jan 31, 2024

In Rhode Island, if someone shares personal messages, pictures, and videos taken from your phone without your consent, you may have legal recourse. Unauthorized access to your phone and the dissemination of private materials could be considered a violation of privacy laws.

Rhode Island has...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Products Liability and Libel & Slander for Rhode Island on
Q: I am considering writing a book about my proven harm. Can I name names without worry of liability?

My proof is legally obtained audio in the state of Rhode Island. However, due to state statutes, I had no legal case.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Aug 21, 2023

A Rhode Island attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. Until you're able to speak with an attorney who is knowledgeable about legal issues for authors, in general, there is no controlling whether subjects named in a book would sue. Such lawsuits could be... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Rhode Island on
Q: Can I sue my college professor for defamation?

I am a graduate student and he is the department chair. There was an incident in a class with undergraduates between them and the professor where I was the TA. I spoke to him asking why he didn’t come speak to me before accusing the professor, my advisor, of basically a criminal act. I told... View More

Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
answered on Apr 8, 2022

Before escalating the matter to litigation, check to see if the school has an ombudsman who may help address the conflict.

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander, Civil Rights and Domestic Violence for Rhode Island on
Q: Can a person say whatever they would like to someone? I had a situation today where I asked the parties to stop.

They did not as such I was scared and called the police. I wanted them to leave me alone and they refused then continued to verbally threaten me, harass and get in my face when I was near the female. To me this is 100% illegal. Situation was in Cranston, Rhode Island.

Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
answered on Feb 2, 2020

"Near the female" situations can be challenging both for humans and their companions. If the situation stops when you are not near the female, avoid being near the female. Free speech does have some limits. Contact your attorney if you are interested in bringing a lawsuit for the... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination, Employment Law, Civil Rights and Libel & Slander for Rhode Island on
Q: Can a supervisor allow only 2 out of 3 employees the opportunity to work Overtime? all 3 are members of Laborers union
Bernard P. Healy
Bernard P. Healy
answered on Mar 3, 2018

I do not have sufficient information to answer this completely or with true accuracy. Under Federal and Rhode Island Law, a supervisor cannot discriminate against employees for certain reasons. Those reasons are race, gender, age, disability, perceived disability, ethnic background, religious... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes and Libel & Slander for Rhode Island on
Q: I am being cyberstalked which has been reported to police but during this I was extremely slandered. What are my legal

Rights in this situation.

Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
answered on Feb 17, 2018

You may wish to meet with an attorney to consider seeking a protective order in the State Court. They should also be able to review your allegations/evidence of slander and advise you of your options.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Divorce, Foreclosure and Libel & Slander for Rhode Island on
Q: I'm in foreclosure; can the mortgage co. send my ex-wife a certified notice or would that be considered slander?

The property has always been in my name only & predates the marriage. My ex never lived there; her name was never on any of the paperwork. The divorce final judgment was 10/31/95. Our agreement clearly indicated the property was mine & she has no claim to it.

Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
answered on Aug 19, 2017

If you have it, bring the notice to the attorney you have retained to assist you in the foreclosure matter.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Libel & Slander for Rhode Island on
Q: Can I sue for slander/liable/deformation of character?

I wanted to know If I have a potential case. Today I was blindsided completely at work by my supervisor , she told me to meet her in HR at 3pm, she wouldn't tell me why at all. When I got there she told me that this was about something that happened TWO weeks during my shift. This was my first... View More

Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
answered on May 28, 2016

Know that truth is a defense to these type of allegations(with some exceptions). Don't discuss the case in a public forum. Consult with an attorney in private and see if they will attend whatever hearing your employer may provide. You should have a right to know whom made this allegation(and... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Rhode Island on
Q: I filed a complaint against a lawyer can he sue me for defamation ?

I wrote a complaint to the legal service that provided a pro bono lawyer for my girlfriend's jurisdiction matter in her divorce. I sent the complaint to the legal service about the lawyer because I feel he is not only in my belief acting very unprofessional but also violating ethics. His... View More

Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
answered on Oct 13, 2015

She is the one who should be filing any complaints about her attorney, not you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.