Compton, CA asked in Domestic Violence for California

Q: How do we get rid of a so-called son-in-law who bullies us (my wife and I) constantly?

He bullies us for any tiniest incident and makes it into a major argument whereby he gets up into our faces (6 inches or closer) and starts to yell. My wife and I (I'm 78 and my 72) are afraid he will do something physical because he has beat his wife (my daughter) in the past. He wants us to do something so that he can claim physical abuse. He is over 6' tall and over 280 pounds.

My wife has had two valves replaced in her heart and becomes agitated, blood pressure skyrockets, becomes weak and dizzy, afraid etc.

He has already destroyed the bedroom and bathroom, also goes to our back porch, and coughs while smoking and spits or throws up all over that porch. He thinks we will not do anything and we were told that he will claim COPD and get us for what he says is Black mold in the bathroom. But we think he has emphysema but does not quit smoking (including Marijuana) so we don't think he has a leg to stand on. What can we do? There's more we can give, even neighbors complaints.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gina Marie Famularo
Gina Marie Famularo
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Corona, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: This sounds like elder abuse. You need to get an attorney as soon as possible to protect you. Get a restraining order. If your son-in-law is living with you (and it sounds like he is), you can kick him out in a day or two. Please do not try to do this on your own. The situation sounds volatile. Take care.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.