Cherry Hill, NJ asked in Family Law, Juvenile Law and Military Law for New Jersey

Q: Does enlisting in the Army National Guard at 17 emancipate a child from his parents?

My 17 year old enlisted in the NJ Army National Guard while still in high school. He was splitting his time between my home and his mother's home. He came home from the enlistment ceremony, announced he was emancipated and stated that he wanted to live with his mother only. In this case, I need to know if he's truly emancipated because I suspect not. I also need to understand what my financial obligations are regarding child support. Do I continue to pay child support now? And then what happens when he goes to college? If not emancipated, can I enforce our current parenting time agreement stating that he splits his time between our homes?

1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Despite his enlisting in the Army National Guard, he is not automatically emancipated. You need to retain an experienced matrimonial law attorney, who will bring an appropriate motion before the Court. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.