Encino, CA asked in Family Law for California

Q: Can a father get joint custody of a child he has never seen?

I plan to file for child support and her dad has not seen her after numerous attempts to talk to him. And feels like if we do go to court a judge will grant him joint custody even though he is not on the birth certificate

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gina Marie Famularo
Gina Marie Famularo
  • Corona, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you ask for child sport, the typical legal response is to request a visitation order. You did not state how old the child is. By filing for child support, you are establishing Dad's parental rights. Depending on the age of the child, Dad will likely get some sort of visitation plan. The amount is case specific and varies with each and every case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.