New York, NY asked in Estate Planning, Probate and Real Estate Law for New York

Q: Hi my mother died on this Jan 21 my twin sisters who are disabled always lived with her and mom left them the house

House paid in full and death has been reported . questions what kind of money we taking for them to continue to stay in home do they have to come up with new tax money because home will now belong to them?? Also just found out house has no insurance ugg mom updated will to include me equally while in hospital via video but I want no part of this but don't want my sisters to be homeless I'm worried will because the both get disability will courts still allow them to get property

1 Lawyer Answer
Daniel Anthony Testa III
Daniel Anthony Testa III
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Auburn, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If the Deed is not in their names the Will must be probated through surrogates court. The cost and length of the probate process will depend on the complexity of the estate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.