Fontana, CA asked in Collections, Health Care Law and Public Benefits for California

Q: My mom died 10 years ago and left no estate.Now that I inherited a home from my grandparents can Medi-Cal come after it?

mother died 10 years ago and she was very poor. She left nothing behind other than her name was on my grandfathersite car in case he died.

My grandfather died 5 months ago and he had a house and still owned the car with my mother's name on it. I am the only sole heir and only living relative, and everything was left to me in his will. We are going through probate to put the house in my name. That is the entire estate, 1 house 1 car, and he owes Nothing to Anyone.

So this afternoon I received a giant letter asking me to pay for AOL of my mother's medical bills back to the state funded insurance program she used, from the State of California.

My mother has been dead for nearly 12 years, and she predeceased my grandparents. Can they really come after me for grandpa's house?

1 Lawyer Answer
Sergio G. Chaidez
Sergio G. Chaidez
  • Collections Lawyer
  • San Diego, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: They can try, but they should not succeed. They may not know what happened. Your grandfather's estate is not liable for your mother's debt, so they cannot collect against his estate. Now that it soon will be your property, you also are not liable to for your mother's debts (unless you expressly guaranteed her debts). Further, it being 12 years since her death, that should make it even more difficult for them to try to take property from you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.