Battle Creek, MI asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and Real Estate Law for Michigan

Q: I need land transferred from my deceased father into my name. I am his only child.

My father passed away July 12th 2014, i have the deed to the land in Battle Creek Michigan, he also has land in Oxford, Mississippi, I was told to contact a lawyer in my area to get referred about that situation as well. Please help me.

1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Champion
Robert Champion
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Plainwell, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You will most likely have to open an estate, become the personal representative for the estate, then execute documents to transfer ownership of the land. You should consult with an experienced probate attorney in your area to discuss all the options in detail.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.