Beaverton, OR asked in Education Law and Juvenile Law for Oregon

Q: Can our public elementary school ban my son from family events after he withdrew from school?

Our 9 yr old son was getting into trouble due to anxiety issues. He was finally suspended for verbally threatening a fellow student that had been bullying him. We withdrew him the next day. His older brother still attends school there. We just received an email from the principal notifying us that he is barred from attending any family activities at the school in support of his brother. He didn't break any laws that I know of, and he didn't physically hurt anyone, can they do that?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Michael O. Stevens
Mr. Michael O. Stevens
  • Hillsboro, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: I do not do public education law by any means, but you have a situation where they possibly could rightful ban him from the school due to the threats he made. People can be trespassed from public places, TriMet does it all the time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.