Williamsburg, VA asked in Family Law and Military Law for Virginia

Q: Does my ex-husband have a say in who I give custody of our child to if he was convicted of Child Abuse?

I am trying to enlist in the Navy and since I am a single mother, I would have to give up custody of my child. I would like to give up custody to a family member, but I am concerned that my child's father may try to prolong the process. He was convicted of felony child abuse and has no custody of her, but he still has his parental rights. Will he be able to have a say in me giving my family member custody?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gary D. Godman
Gary D. Godman
  • Stafford, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: While he may have a say, it may not hold much weight, especially if the child in question was the victim of the abuse. Because of the sensitive nature of your information, you may want to speak privately with a local family law attorney - I am certain there are many in your area that are familiar with how military service affects custody and family issues. Good luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.