Brooklyn, NY asked in Municipal Law and Landlord - Tenant for Rhode Island

Q: The city of Warwick Rhode Island has just told me that my apartment is illegal I have 30 days to move what are my rights

My landlord knowingly rented this apartment knowing that it was illegal I asked several times and was told by her that if any inspectors ever came I was to tell them it was a break room for her business next door. Now I have 30 days to move because the city has stated the structure which is a transform the garage is not a residence I guess my question is is she responsible for helping me with moving costs and am I responsible for giving her money for rent I have tried to speak to the landlord and her only response to me is a well don't panic

1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: The terms of your lease will be very important in evaluating your rights. If you can't resolve the situation with your landlord, consider meeting with and retaining an attorney to assist you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.