San Angelo, TX asked in Employment Law for Texas

Q: Can I sue for wrongful termination of employment if I signed a resignation letter?

My 62 year old husband, employed 22 years as a Maintenance/Safety Director for a large retirement complex, was told on 5/31/16 that he would have to either tender his resignation or be immediately terminated. He signed the resignation letter but is having second thoughts. He has had an excellent employee record with them until recently. After having rotater-cuff surgery on 12/11/15 he began suffering some memory loss and had what he calls "foggy brain." Although he was given no cause for termination he suspects his memory problems and cognitive problems are the cause. He has been offered a severance pay in the amount of $13,800 on the condition that he sign a non-disclosure statement, which he has not done yet. He has till 6/14/16 (his last day of employment) to reject that sum or accept and sign the agreement. My question is would it be worth the money to hire an attorney and pursue legal action; or is it too late to do that since he signed the resignation?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Marshall Jason Ray
Marshall Jason Ray

A: For this very specific situation you should consult with a private attorney in your area. There are many who will offer a free consultation. Generally speaking, signing a resignation letter does not foreclose a lawsuit. Depending on whether you were the moving party, or the wording of the letter (i.e., whether it was a release), it might be very hard to overcome. Again, you should sit with an attorney in private to go over all of the details of your proposed case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.