Tulsa, OK asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law and Family Law for Oklahoma

Q: My ex husband and I filed chapter 13 on our mortgage in 2007 and in 2008 got divorced.

I moved out and left him the house. I obtained a lawyer and had the bankruptcy discharged since I had left the marriage with just my personal belongings. In 2009 he filed chapter 11 on the mortgage. Now on my credit report, it is showing that I am behind 90-120 days with a mortgage company for almost 40K making it hard to finance a home. What can I do if anything to get this off my credit report?

1 Lawyer Answer
Todd Laster
Todd Laster
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: If you surrendered the home in your prior bankruptcy, you may have a claim against the mortgage company violating the discharge. You should contact your previous bankruptcy attorney about this matter as you may have a claim against the mortgage company. If your prior Chapter 13 bankruptcy was dismissed instead of discharged and you are still on the mortgage the mortgage company can still collect against you even if your former spouse was awarded the home and debt in a divorce. If you former spouse is currently in a Chapter 13 you should contact a local bankruptcy attorney to discuss your options in more detail. You should bring with you to the consult your divorce decree and both you and your former spouse's bankruptcy documents.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.