Glendale, CA asked in Child Custody, Domestic Violence and Family Law for California

Q: How can I proceed in keeping custody of my child in CA? Im a fit mother with a 2 yr old girl. Im from Ohio.

I have lived in CA for 10 years and left my ex due to abuse. I showed up to court on an ex parte with he and his attorney and its been downhill since. I am loosing custody to an abuser who has hired an attorney to abuse the system to obtain orders. Im a fit mother who has done everything right but yet my actions have led to my young child in the hands of an abuser. Im pro se, and yes... I know. My ex has made a strong effort to suppress my survival while building a "status quo" for the courts. I can fix my case since I have all the proof and evidence to turn it around but I don't know my options with a permanent judgement pending from a trial that was not ready. Im being taken advantage of. What are my options from here? Since there are no perm. orders yet, Is it possible to obtain perm. orders in OHIo where I can establish jurisdiction at least? Also, Does a court in CA have jurisdiction if due-process was violated and not raised before filing other actions? Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Susan G. Cohen
Susan G. Cohen pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Was there a trial in Ohio? If the Ohio Courts have already held a trial and entered custody orders, unfortunately the California Courts are bound by that order or judgment. It is very difficult get California even to accept jurisdiction if there is still a case pending elsewhere. Your local Domestic Violence program may be able to get you in touch with a lawyer who can help you. Have you ever sought Domestic Violence Protection orders against this man either in Ohio or California? The Family Law Clerk in the court where current motions are pending can help you. Most of all you need a lawyer. You probably cannot do this pro se.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.