Chesapeake, VA asked in Social Security and Real Estate Law for Virginia

Q: I'm on ssi temporarily. My mother has my property in her name. My uncle lives in it, no income can I put it in my name?

She wanted to protect the property. Her and her husband are getting divorced and he's trying to use my home to fund her hense fund himself. He has given "far" over to his kids. I want to quit claim it to me before he gets his claws out. I've also been morbidly abused by him and 1 of his daughters. I can't live in it, because have someone in there were helping but zero income besides mortgage being paid. My step also signed quit claim when it was first purchased because he knew it was for my mom's children. She basically put sm. down payment (he didn't pay any ever), now he's claiming it's theres, it's almost paid off. He provided big down payment for his daughters homes, however it was in there name.It her name for me because i was young. I don't want my property used for his gain. Hes finacially well off.He abuses me into thinking we have no rights by mental bullying.please help. Is there away to put this in my name without losing ssi, if there's no income earned?

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: you really need to see an attorney as it's complicated because you put it in mom's name. Yes, she can sign it back to you.

But there are things that need to be done to protect you and her. Unfrotunately, these things --title transfers, etc.--cost money.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.