Granite Bay, CA asked in Child Support and Family Law for California

Q: I keep my daughter 3/7 days a week and I currently have been paying $250 a month in child support, should I be?

I have been paying child support for about 10 months and I don't feel I should be. I buy all the diapers and materials my daughter needs for my place and my ex has a Job to afford everything she needs. We have not gone to court for custody but should I be paying her at all or should it be equal 50/50 given the amount of time we share our daughter.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Susan G. Cohen
Susan G. Cohen
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Child support in California is calculated using a Computer Program that uses a very complex mathematical formula to determine child support. The Dissonaster calculation factors in the income of each parent, certain special child raising expenses, a other special factors, as well as the timeshare or proportion of time each parent sends with the child. The formula does not factor in the ordinary everyday expenses each parent incurs, like diapers, food and clothing. But some extraordinary expenses, like special medical expenses, or expenses related to a special need or talent of the child may be considered. If you've further questions, you should contact a lawyer near where you live.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.