Ontario, CA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for California

Q: My father was granted Temporary Custody of me. Can my mother get it back?

Hello I have a question. I'm 17 and I was detained in 2013. One of the things I had to do to get out of Juvinille Detention was to leave a certain city, my mother lived in that city and I lived with her. She had custody at the time. The court granted my dad temporary custody . And I went to live with "him" at the next city over. (I was actually with my grandmother he lived in a hotel) and my case was closed and record was cleaned. No one ever went back to court to fix the custody issue. Is there any way my mother can get custody over me back? My mother did NOT loose custody. It was just granted to my father to I can be able to live with a parent that didn't live in the city I wasn't suppose to be in.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rivka Israel
Rivka Israel
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • San Diego, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You have provided quite a bit of information. However, I think you will likely hear from most, if not all, attorneys you ask or who respond that your mother has to be the one who seeks the information. In general, if there are no grounds to keep custody from your mother she should be able to get custody back. However, the issue will be moot as soon as you turn 18 anyway. Custody orders cease when the child turns 18 absent extenuating circumstances.

If this is something you would like your mother to pursue you should have her call a lawyer

Rivka Israel, Esq.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.