Euless, TX asked in Energy, Oil and Gas and Probate for Texas

Q: How to transfer a gifted oil royalty from a deceased person with no will.

My sisters, my brother, and myself were given a part of an oil royalty owned by our mother. My brother died in April of this year with no will. He was married and had adopted his wife's son. They did not have a good relationship, and her son has been estranged from them for several years until the last year or so. My brother had contacted the production company about transferring his royalty to my sisters and myself but did not get the paperwork completed before dying. He left instructions for his wife to transfer the royalty to us and she wants to complete his wishes, but her son, who does not work, wants to keep his part of it, which I understand will be 2/3 of the total of that part of the royalty. Since I believe the royalty to be legally separate property, can our mother contact the production company and have the royalty transferred back to her?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jim Ed "Jed" Franklin
Jim Ed "Jed" Franklin
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You need to consult a lawyer on this. It seems to be a very complex situation. Having said that, it appears that the estate needs to be probated, even though there is not a will. This is called "intestate succession". The laws of Texas will govern how the property is to be distributed, and it is different for community property than separate property. Once you go through this process, someone will be able to properly pass the property on under the law. Then you can show the oil company and they should pay accordingly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.