Asked in Traffic Tickets, Collections and Car Accidents for California

Q: I was in a car accident is 2012, come to find out I am being sued for 16,000 now. What do I do?

It was a rental car under my moms name, was told I was put on the contract but never was. They served my old boss and left the papers on my desk, until I found them one day.

1 Lawyer Answer
Sergio G. Chaidez
Sergio G. Chaidez
  • Collections Lawyer
  • San Diego, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Hello. You need to defend against the lawsuit. If you were served with the lawsuit, then you have only a short amount of time to file a response with the court. You need to file a response to the lawsuit so you can defend yourself against the allegations and liability.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.