Pawtucket, RI asked in Personal Injury for Rhode Island

Q: a school is letting 5 children cross a 4 lane road without a crossing guard to get to school is this right?

my children were taken the bus it was 0.8 miles in the range but, the school department moved the stop to under the range of 0.75. (right across the street from my house and my friends ) so our children can't take the bus. but, the other children can in the area. this area was always bused because of the radius of the other stop from the houses. now the school wants our 5 children (all in elementary school) to walk and there are streets with no real sidewalks just grass and cross walks and no crossing guards. and the main street is a 4 lane road which is Newport ave. (route 1). it doesn't seem fair, and they are just asking for one of these children to get hurt or killed doing so.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: Or someone walks them to school.The school board is presumably elected.That's how you get it--the R.I. Statute seems to say that they have to provide a bus when walking "isnt practicable." Your arguement would be for the kids up to grade 4 or so walking 3/4 of a mile is a long way, and for all kids unsafe due to lack of sidewalks and crossings.

The following is from a R.I. case:

"In accordance with the provisions of G.L. 1956 (1988 Reenactment) § 16-21-1(a), municipalities are required to furnish public-school and nonprofit-private-school students with appropriate transportation to and from school in those cases in which their regular attendance at school "would be impractical * * * because of the distance they would *827 have to travel." Brown v. Elston, 445 A.2d 279, 283 (R.I. 1982). By the terms of this statute, municipalities must provide school-bus service to each such pupil's residence that is located beyond a reasonable walking distance from the school. See id. The design of a bus route, then, is subject to variables such as the location of students' homes. Although the design of school-bus routes by a community in fulfillment of its obligations under § 16-21-1(a) may be among those discretionary governmental activities shielded by the public-duty doctrine, see Barratt v. Burlingham, 492 A.2d 1219, 1222 (R.I. 1985), plaintiff is not necessarily precluded from recovering for the negligent design of the bus route at issue."

So, you organize, ask them to comply with the law, they don't then you run them off the board. You can sue them but you have to hire a lawyer or find one who will work for free.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.