Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Rhode Island Personal Injury Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Rhode Island on

Q: How does the court decide if a bar is liable for over-serving me drinks before I got into a car accident?

Tim Akpinar answered on Dec 30, 2018

You should consult with a Rhode Island attorney as to what is considered and admissible specific to the state. As a general matter, some of the things that courts in such cases could consider include video footage from the establishment, eyewitness testimony, and receipts.

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Landlord - Tenant for Rhode Island on

Q: My mother in law constantly puts her mitts on things that don't belong to her in an area deemed as a private area.

My mother lives in an area that is shared with my mother in law's things, but was given a clear division line for "her room". These spaces share a common door, however, every time we leave the house, my mother in law enters my mom's space, moves things around that do not belong to her, and removes... Read more »

Neville Bedford answered on Nov 27, 2017

Your remedies will depend on whether she is a guest or a tenant. If she is a guest, you might ask her to leave if she continues this behavior you find unacceptable. If she is a tenant, you may have to file a formal eviction.

1 Answer | Asked in Sexual Harassment, Criminal Law and Personal Injury for Rhode Island on

Q: I am 17 but i was 16 at the time i got raped by a 20 year old man who was my boyfriend

i do not know if i want to persue a case yet but i want to know if i can do it when im 18 so my parents will not get involved i do have text message evidence that i did say no and i live in rhode island

Peter N. Munsing answered on Nov 6, 2017

1) you were raped. It's a crime. You should really report that to the police.

2) you may file a civil suit but if the rapist has no money there isn't a civil case that can be brought that won't cost you more.

3) consult a member of the RI assn for justice to discuss your options.I...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Rhode Island on

Q: 17yBoy assaults16y Girl in grandparents house after the grandparents invited her and can there civil s againt gp?

Peter N. Munsing answered on Feb 19, 2017

Depends entirely on what happened. At that age they are young adults and granparents aren't necessarily responsible unless 17 yr old is their kid. Why not contact a member of the RI Assn for Justice --they give free consults.

2 Answers | Asked in Domestic Violence, Family Law and Personal Injury for Rhode Island on

Q: is there a case for an autism child got a target burn mark on his butt on the last day of summer daycare?.

parent find out at night when bath and brought him to hospital and file a report, this happen on last Friday. police is still claim on investigation but parent think that the department is not going to do much because the officer question if the child had sat on something hot and got burn or did... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 19, 2016

Charges need to be pressed by the police and /or attorney general's office. A civil suit is possible if it can be shown that it happened at the daycare. Suggest the parents contact an attorney who provides free consultations.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Rhode Island on

Q: a school is letting 5 children cross a 4 lane road without a crossing guard to get to school is this right?

my children were taken the bus it was 0.8 miles in the range but, the school department moved the stop to under the range of 0.75. (right across the street from my house and my friends ) so our children can't take the bus. but, the other children can in the area. this area was always bused... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 18, 2016

Or someone walks them to school.The school board is presumably elected.That's how you get it--the R.I. Statute seems to say that they have to provide a bus when walking "isnt practicable." Your arguement would be for the kids up to grade 4 or so walking 3/4 of a mile is a long way, and for all kids... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Land Use & Zoning, Environmental and Personal Injury for Rhode Island on

Q: Tree service is chipping wood and dying mulch behind my house. They have no invisible fence and makes it tough to breath

Been looking for laws against air pollution since my children been getting sick from playing outside. Please help!

Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 17, 2016

Might be a zoning reg. Talk to your borough.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Rhode Island on

Q: Stolen Vehicle, Parking Lot at fault?

My fiance's car was stolen after being left by a parking attendant at his work after closing with the keys in the car, the doors unlocked. He was never told that the attendant would leave the keys in his car if he did not return to pick them up before closing. His car was then stolen, but found and... Read more »

Neville Bedford answered on Mar 27, 2015

When you have a problem like this, it is best to meet with an attorney and retain them to assist you.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Rhode Island on

Q: as a plantif can i just end a civil suit

suing for ssdi

Bernard P. Healy answered on Jan 27, 2015

Yes. You can withdraw your application for disability benefits at any time.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Rhode Island on

Q: My friend and I were rear ended while vacationing in California,the person admitted fault,we're both injured and Ri resi

We both live in ri,what next?

Neville Bedford answered on Nov 30, 2014

As long as that is recorded in the police report, it will likely be sorted out between the insurance companies. If you suffered injuries, consider retaining an injury to assist you.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Rhode Island on


Neville Bedford answered on Nov 21, 2014

Yes, meet with an attorney soonest to make sure that the time limit has not lapsed.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Rhode Island on

Q: Can I sue my landlord for not installing a railing in the basement where I fell and injured my back?

Timothy J. Deffet answered on Oct 11, 2012

The answer is possibly. You should take pictures of the basement and railing area on the stairs immediately from all angles. Go see a doctor, give a history of the accident, keep copies of all bills and records. Are there any code violations on the property? Shoddy maintenance etc? Any witnesses to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Rhode Island on



Terrence Rubino answered on Aug 15, 2011

your girlfriend is best served by contacting a reputable rhode island attorney who does injury work. first consultations are usually free and normally lawyers will do the case on a contingent %. some court systems are online like indiana where it is fairly easy to find out who has sued or been sued... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.