Seattle, WA asked in Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for Washington

Q: This issue pertains to tenant landlord law and the questions and situation are explained under more information

At the end of June me and a new roommate and her daughter moved into a new apartment in Bothell, WA. The apartment is leased to her and she is the only one that signed the contract. I am listed on this contract, along with her daughter, under "Occupants". Now that I am needing to move again, the complex said I can only be released from the lease if my roommate signs a Roommate Release Form. The complex states that because I am 18+ and listed in any way on the lease agreement, that I am held responsible for the unit through the duration of the lease. They said there is no other way for me to be able to leave other than having my roommate sign the release form and she is refusing to do so. She says she wants to take me to small claims court to "get her money". I have moved all of my things out of the unit but I still have the keys in my possession. I have paid all bills through the month of August already. So, I guess I have a few questions here about what I should do. Am I legally oblig

1 Lawyer Answer
Marjorie Simmons
Marjorie Simmons
  • Burlington, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: Do you have a copy of what was signed? What does the fine print say? It sounds as if your former roommate may have had the expectation that you would contribute to the rent payment when the two of you entered into the rental arrangement. If so and if she would not have leased the apartment otherwise, she might not be able to afford the rent on her own, which would mean she may have to move because you moved out, and which may affect her child's ability to attend a particular school. You might want to look through the articles here:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.